PHOENIX — The Salt River Project is warning customers about a potential new scam.
With the summer heat upon the Valley and air conditioners constantly running, keeping up on utility bills might be in the forefront of many people’s minds. Spokesman Jeff Lane with SRP said the company is warning people not to fall for a new email scam.
“This is a little bit different,” he said. “A lot of the scams that utilities have been hit with in recent months and years have been more in the way of phone calls,” Lane said.
He said emails are being sent to people that look like they’re from utility companies seeking to get money from unsuspecting customers.
“The scam involves an email sent to utility customers requesting that they view an online bill and then make a payment,” he said.
Some of the emails are looking for more than just money, though, and are targeting personal information.
“The links in the email send customers to fraudulent websites,” he explained. “From that, they attempt to steal passwords and bank account information.”
Lane added SRP never asks for payment or personal information through emails or through emailed links.
If customers receive a suspicious email they should report it to SRP by calling (602) 236-8888.
Lane said the company wanted to forewarn people about the scam emails because of similar cases affecting other utility companies around the country. So far, there have been no reports of SRP customers being affected.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck