PHOENIX — The Salt River Project is warning customers about a potential new scam.
With the summer heat upon the Valley and air conditioners constantly running, keeping up on utility bills might be in the forefront of many people’s minds. Spokesman Jeff Lane with SRP said the company is warning people not to fall for a new email scam.
“This is a little bit different,” he said. “A lot of the scams that utilities have been hit with in recent months and years have been more in the way of phone calls,” Lane said.
He said emails are being sent to people that look like they’re from utility companies seeking to get money from unsuspecting customers.
“The scam involves an email sent to utility customers requesting that they view an online bill and then make a payment,” he said.
Some of the emails are looking for more than just money, though, and are targeting personal information.
“The links in the email send customers to fraudulent websites,” he explained. “From that, they attempt to steal passwords and bank account information.”
Lane added SRP never asks for payment or personal information through emails or through emailed links.
If customers receive a suspicious email they should report it to SRP by calling (602) 236-8888.
Lane said the company wanted to forewarn people about the scam emails because of similar cases affecting other utility companies around the country. So far, there have been no reports of SRP customers being affected.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food