PHOENIX — Flood and dust storm advisories were issued Monday in the Phoenix metro area as a huge wall of dust blew into the area.
The dust storm warning was cancelled for the Phoenix metro area just before 6:30 p.m. The warning was originally slated to end at 7 p.m.
622pm: Dust Storm Warning is canceled for Phoenix area and NW & N Cntrl Pinal counties. Dense areas of blowing dust are no longer expected.
— NWS Phoenix (@NWSPhoenix) July 8, 2014
The cloud of dust was estimated to be 20 miles wide and 2,000 feet tall.
A dust storm advisory was also issued for portions of Maricopa and Pinal counties, including Gilbert, Mesa and Chandler. Visibility dropped as low as one-quarter mile and the winds hit as high as 30 mph in some areas.
Monsoon season began in earnest just before the Fourth of July holiday, when a large cloud of dust preceded showers in the Valley.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development