PHOENIX — Flood and dust storm advisories were issued Monday in the Phoenix metro area as a huge wall of dust blew into the area.
The dust storm warning was cancelled for the Phoenix metro area just before 6:30 p.m. The warning was originally slated to end at 7 p.m.
622pm: Dust Storm Warning is canceled for Phoenix area and NW & N Cntrl Pinal counties. Dense areas of blowing dust are no longer expected.
— NWS Phoenix (@NWSPhoenix) July 8, 2014
The cloud of dust was estimated to be 20 miles wide and 2,000 feet tall.
A dust storm advisory was also issued for portions of Maricopa and Pinal counties, including Gilbert, Mesa and Chandler. Visibility dropped as low as one-quarter mile and the winds hit as high as 30 mph in some areas.
Monsoon season began in earnest just before the Fourth of July holiday, when a large cloud of dust preceded showers in the Valley.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night