PHOENIX — Flood and dust storm advisories were issued Monday in the Phoenix metro area as a huge wall of dust blew into the area.
The dust storm warning was cancelled for the Phoenix metro area just before 6:30 p.m. The warning was originally slated to end at 7 p.m.
622pm: Dust Storm Warning is canceled for Phoenix area and NW & N Cntrl Pinal counties. Dense areas of blowing dust are no longer expected.
— NWS Phoenix (@NWSPhoenix) July 8, 2014
The cloud of dust was estimated to be 20 miles wide and 2,000 feet tall.
A dust storm advisory was also issued for portions of Maricopa and Pinal counties, including Gilbert, Mesa and Chandler. Visibility dropped as low as one-quarter mile and the winds hit as high as 30 mph in some areas.
Monsoon season began in earnest just before the Fourth of July holiday, when a large cloud of dust preceded showers in the Valley.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier