PHOENIX — The Valley’s mosquito population is growing fast as the area gets more rain and humidity due to monsoon season.
The Maricopa County Environmental Services Department has nearly 600 mosquito traps set throughout the Valley.
Department spokesperson Johnny Diloné said that county officials have also resorted to mosquito fogging at several hundred different sites in the greater Phoenix area.
“We do conduct fogging operations,” Diloné said. “We’ve been conducting fogging this year, but once again, our focus is more in preventing mosquitoes from breeding.”
Diloné added, however, that the county can only do so much to prevent the mosquito population from growing. The public can do its part by preventing mosquito breeding sites from growing by getting rid of standing water outside their homes after a monsoon storm, according to Diloné.
He said many Maricopa County residents forget that mosquitoes are prevalent in the area and could be carrying deadly diseases.
“(Residents) seem to believe that we don’t have mosquitoes here as much as we do in other more humid, tropical areas,” he said. “We have to be careful. We do have a large mosquito population here and we tend to have more of the Culex type of mosquitoes that most likely would carry West Nile.”
Diloné said Maricopa County residents should take every precaution necessary to avoid getting bitten this summer.
For more information about West Nile Virus in Maricopa County go to www.maricopa.gov/wnv.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.