PHOENIX — The old Milwaukee Brewers spring training facility in Chandler will soon be a gated community.
“It was the home of the Brewers back in the ’90s,” said Christine Mackay, economic director for the City of Chandler. “I think it last quit being the home to Brewers in about 1997.”
That was when the Brewers relocated to Maryvale.
“The site has been used for baseball and softball practice and all kinds of events and programs since then, but really, over the last few years, it hadn’t been utilized at all,” Mackay explained. “It had really kind of fallen into disrepair.”
There are currently no plans for other spring training facilities in Chandler.
“There are so many beautiful spring training facilities here in metro Phoenix,” she said. “I think the other cities have it pretty well covered for everyone.”
Standard Pacific Homes will now turn the area into a gated community with over 300 homes.
“Every city has a different flavor and a different personality, and I don’t Chandler’s focus is on spring training,” she said.
The city’s big focus is on technology jobs and advanced business service jobs for our citizens, she added.
The gated community will be near Alma School and Ocotillo. Demolition on the Compadre Stadium Ballpark should begin in the next few weeks.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon