PHOENIX — The old Milwaukee Brewers spring training facility in Chandler will soon be a gated community.
“It was the home of the Brewers back in the ’90s,” said Christine Mackay, economic director for the City of Chandler. “I think it last quit being the home to Brewers in about 1997.”
That was when the Brewers relocated to Maryvale.
“The site has been used for baseball and softball practice and all kinds of events and programs since then, but really, over the last few years, it hadn’t been utilized at all,” Mackay explained. “It had really kind of fallen into disrepair.”
There are currently no plans for other spring training facilities in Chandler.
“There are so many beautiful spring training facilities here in metro Phoenix,” she said. “I think the other cities have it pretty well covered for everyone.”
Standard Pacific Homes will now turn the area into a gated community with over 300 homes.
“Every city has a different flavor and a different personality, and I don’t Chandler’s focus is on spring training,” she said.
The city’s big focus is on technology jobs and advanced business service jobs for our citizens, she added.
The gated community will be near Alma School and Ocotillo. Demolition on the Compadre Stadium Ballpark should begin in the next few weeks.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains