PHOENIX — The old Milwaukee Brewers spring training facility in Chandler will soon be a gated community.
“It was the home of the Brewers back in the ’90s,” said Christine Mackay, economic director for the City of Chandler. “I think it last quit being the home to Brewers in about 1997.”
That was when the Brewers relocated to Maryvale.
“The site has been used for baseball and softball practice and all kinds of events and programs since then, but really, over the last few years, it hadn’t been utilized at all,” Mackay explained. “It had really kind of fallen into disrepair.”
There are currently no plans for other spring training facilities in Chandler.
“There are so many beautiful spring training facilities here in metro Phoenix,” she said. “I think the other cities have it pretty well covered for everyone.”
Standard Pacific Homes will now turn the area into a gated community with over 300 homes.
“Every city has a different flavor and a different personality, and I don’t Chandler’s focus is on spring training,” she said.
The city’s big focus is on technology jobs and advanced business service jobs for our citizens, she added.
The gated community will be near Alma School and Ocotillo. Demolition on the Compadre Stadium Ballpark should begin in the next few weeks.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America