PHOENIX — Generations of park managers have tried to maintain the natural view of the Grand Canyon National Park, but all of that is about to change.
According to the LA Times, visitors could soon see a hive of construction workers on the east side of the canyon’s popular South Rim.
Restaurants, hotels and shops are planned to be built on a distant mesa on the Navajo Indian reservation.
The project has alarmed the National Park Service, which sees them as the most serious threat the park has faced in its 95-year history.
“They are serious threats to the future of the park,” said park Supt. Dave Uberuaga. “When you have that size and scope of potential development that close to the park, it will impact our visitor experience.”
Other plans from the developers include a gondola ride from these attractions to whisk tourists to the canyon floor. From there, they could take a walk to a restaurant at the junction of the Colorado and Little Colorado rivers.
The park is currently waiting for the tribe to complete its planning process before providing an official response.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development