PHOENIX — Democratic Party leaders will be coming to Phoenix in September to see if the capital of Arizona is capable of hosting the 2016 national convention.
Six cities are in the running, including Birmingham, Ala., and Cleveland. The Valley has hosted the Super Bowl, college football title games and many other major events. Phoenix’s site visit is scheduled Sept. 10-111.
Todd Sanders, president and CEO of the Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce, said the city is ready to host the convention.
“There’s a lot of confidence that we will be able to host and provide the hotel room space needed,” he said.
Sanders isn’t worried the Valley heat will used against it by the other bidders. The Republicans went to Tampa, Fla., for their convention in 2012 and ran into a hurricane.
“We are a dry heat. We live here and we understand what it’s like in the summer. We need to make sure they (Democratic leaders) know that it’s easy to cool off.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon