PHOENIX — Democratic Party leaders will be coming to Phoenix in September to see if the capital of Arizona is capable of hosting the 2016 national convention.
Six cities are in the running, including Birmingham, Ala., and Cleveland. The Valley has hosted the Super Bowl, college football title games and many other major events. Phoenix’s site visit is scheduled Sept. 10-111.
Todd Sanders, president and CEO of the Greater Phoenix Chamber of Commerce, said the city is ready to host the convention.
“There’s a lot of confidence that we will be able to host and provide the hotel room space needed,” he said.
Sanders isn’t worried the Valley heat will used against it by the other bidders. The Republicans went to Tampa, Fla., for their convention in 2012 and ran into a hurricane.
“We are a dry heat. We live here and we understand what it’s like in the summer. We need to make sure they (Democratic leaders) know that it’s easy to cool off.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier