PHOENIX — The downtown Phoenix area might be getting a little more residential in the coming years.
According to Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal, the Phoenix City Council approved construction of both a 63-unit townhome project at 44th Street and Palm Lane and 292 additional apartments near downtown at its meeting Wednesday.
The original plan for the 44th Street project was the development of a QuikTrip gas station. However, voters failed to approve that ballot measure in 2011.
Although the council approved the future construction of both projects, some within the local community voiced concern about potential problems that could arise in terms of traffic and pedestrian safety.
“I’m pretty much exhausted,” Barak Gavriel, who lives near where the new townhome project is slated to go up, told the Phoenix Business Journal.
Local developer Michael Peloquin’s real estate group, CC44 LLC, is expected to buy the land for the 44th street project from owner Virgil Morgan, according to Sunnucks.
The apartment complex close to downtown, which will be called Epoch Apartments, is expected to be built in favor of a previous plan that was to be used for the Blue on 12th Street project.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night