PHOENIX — The downtown Phoenix area might be getting a little more residential in the coming years.
According to Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal, the Phoenix City Council approved construction of both a 63-unit townhome project at 44th Street and Palm Lane and 292 additional apartments near downtown at its meeting Wednesday.
The original plan for the 44th Street project was the development of a QuikTrip gas station. However, voters failed to approve that ballot measure in 2011.
Although the council approved the future construction of both projects, some within the local community voiced concern about potential problems that could arise in terms of traffic and pedestrian safety.
“I’m pretty much exhausted,” Barak Gavriel, who lives near where the new townhome project is slated to go up, told the Phoenix Business Journal.
Local developer Michael Peloquin’s real estate group, CC44 LLC, is expected to buy the land for the 44th street project from owner Virgil Morgan, according to Sunnucks.
The apartment complex close to downtown, which will be called Epoch Apartments, is expected to be built in favor of a previous plan that was to be used for the Blue on 12th Street project.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life