PHOENIX — The downtown Phoenix area might be getting a little more residential in the coming years.
According to Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal, the Phoenix City Council approved construction of both a 63-unit townhome project at 44th Street and Palm Lane and 292 additional apartments near downtown at its meeting Wednesday.
The original plan for the 44th Street project was the development of a QuikTrip gas station. However, voters failed to approve that ballot measure in 2011.
Although the council approved the future construction of both projects, some within the local community voiced concern about potential problems that could arise in terms of traffic and pedestrian safety.
“I’m pretty much exhausted,” Barak Gavriel, who lives near where the new townhome project is slated to go up, told the Phoenix Business Journal.
Local developer Michael Peloquin’s real estate group, CC44 LLC, is expected to buy the land for the 44th street project from owner Virgil Morgan, according to Sunnucks.
The apartment complex close to downtown, which will be called Epoch Apartments, is expected to be built in favor of a previous plan that was to be used for the Blue on 12th Street project.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets