PHOENIX — The downtown Phoenix area might be getting a little more residential in the coming years.
According to Mike Sunnucks of the Phoenix Business Journal, the Phoenix City Council approved construction of both a 63-unit townhome project at 44th Street and Palm Lane and 292 additional apartments near downtown at its meeting Wednesday.
The original plan for the 44th Street project was the development of a QuikTrip gas station. However, voters failed to approve that ballot measure in 2011.
Although the council approved the future construction of both projects, some within the local community voiced concern about potential problems that could arise in terms of traffic and pedestrian safety.
“I’m pretty much exhausted,” Barak Gavriel, who lives near where the new townhome project is slated to go up, told the Phoenix Business Journal.
Local developer Michael Peloquin’s real estate group, CC44 LLC, is expected to buy the land for the 44th street project from owner Virgil Morgan, according to Sunnucks.
The apartment complex close to downtown, which will be called Epoch Apartments, is expected to be built in favor of a previous plan that was to be used for the Blue on 12th Street project.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck