PHOENIX — Security officers at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport found a loaded gun Friday inside a 44-year-old woman’s carry-on bag.
The gun was discovered around 6 p.m. at a checkpoint inside Terminal 4.
Ross Feinstein, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration, said while the woman likely wasn’t planning to use the Beretta 9mm Nano on the plane, she’ll still get hit in the pocketbook.
“TSA will still impose a civil penalty of around $3,000, since it was a loaded firearm inside her carry-on bag,” Feinstein said.
He said the woman was scheduled to fly to Denver, and was one of eight passengers across the nation to caught with a gun inside carry-on luggage Friday. The woman was not arrested, but law enforcement did confiscate her weapon.
“The vast majority of passengers we catch every day at 450 checkpoints nationwide say, ‘I just forgot it was in my carry-on bag.’ So it’s really important to check and make sure no prohibited items are in your carry-on bag,” he said.
Feinstein said you can travel with a gun, but you need to check it in and make sure your airline knows it’s in your luggage.
For carrying an unloaded firearm in your carry-on luggage, fines range from $1,500 for a first offense to $3,000 for getting caught with a gun that is loaded.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food