PHOENIX — Security officers at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport found a loaded gun Friday inside a 44-year-old woman’s carry-on bag.
The gun was discovered around 6 p.m. at a checkpoint inside Terminal 4.
Ross Feinstein, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration, said while the woman likely wasn’t planning to use the Beretta 9mm Nano on the plane, she’ll still get hit in the pocketbook.
“TSA will still impose a civil penalty of around $3,000, since it was a loaded firearm inside her carry-on bag,” Feinstein said.
He said the woman was scheduled to fly to Denver, and was one of eight passengers across the nation to caught with a gun inside carry-on luggage Friday. The woman was not arrested, but law enforcement did confiscate her weapon.
“The vast majority of passengers we catch every day at 450 checkpoints nationwide say, ‘I just forgot it was in my carry-on bag.’ So it’s really important to check and make sure no prohibited items are in your carry-on bag,” he said.
Feinstein said you can travel with a gun, but you need to check it in and make sure your airline knows it’s in your luggage.
For carrying an unloaded firearm in your carry-on luggage, fines range from $1,500 for a first offense to $3,000 for getting caught with a gun that is loaded.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night