PHOENIX — Security officers at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport found a loaded gun Friday inside a 44-year-old woman’s carry-on bag.
The gun was discovered around 6 p.m. at a checkpoint inside Terminal 4.
Ross Feinstein, a spokesman for the Transportation Security Administration, said while the woman likely wasn’t planning to use the Beretta 9mm Nano on the plane, she’ll still get hit in the pocketbook.
“TSA will still impose a civil penalty of around $3,000, since it was a loaded firearm inside her carry-on bag,” Feinstein said.
He said the woman was scheduled to fly to Denver, and was one of eight passengers across the nation to caught with a gun inside carry-on luggage Friday. The woman was not arrested, but law enforcement did confiscate her weapon.
“The vast majority of passengers we catch every day at 450 checkpoints nationwide say, ‘I just forgot it was in my carry-on bag.’ So it’s really important to check and make sure no prohibited items are in your carry-on bag,” he said.
Feinstein said you can travel with a gun, but you need to check it in and make sure your airline knows it’s in your luggage.
For carrying an unloaded firearm in your carry-on luggage, fines range from $1,500 for a first offense to $3,000 for getting caught with a gun that is loaded.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier