PHOENIX — About 200 foreign-born Phoenix area residents became United States citizens Friday morning at a ceremony at South Mountain Community College.
United States District Judge Roslyn Silver welcomed the new citizens by saying, “You’re in. You’re now citizens of this great country, the United States of America.”
The new Americans come from 54 countries including Mexico.
Long Lee spent his first 21 years in Vietnam and has lived for the past five years in Chandler. Holding an American flag and flashing a big smile, he says Friday and the Fourth of July is all about freedom.
“I’m happy and excited about the opportunity. I spent five years to become a citizen and today is the payoff.”
Dana Stallings from Trinidad also became a new citizen but feels like she has been an American before it became official. She’s a United States Marine.
“It wasn’t an easy process to become a citizen but luckily the military gave me the opportunity.”
Tucson also held a naturalization ceremony at Saguaro National Park.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths