PHOENIX — Two Fourth of July events were canceled Thursday after a large dust storm blew into the Valley.
Dust first started blowing into the Phoenix metro area about 6 p.m. Wind speeds topped 50 mph and visibility was reduced to one-quarter of a mile. The dust was followed by rain — nearly an inch fell in some areas — and lightning.
The events, Ahwatukee’s 39th Annual Red, White and Boom Fireworks Show and the Light Up the Sky Fireworks Display in Maryvale, were canceled as a result of the weather. Some events, like the Cave Creek Fireworks Celebration at Harold’s Corral in Cave Creek, Ariz., were able to continue as scheduled while others, like the Independence Day Music Festival at Salt River Fields, experienced a slight delay.
The National Weather Service forecast said blowing dust and periods of heavy rain are again possible Friday night, when the majority of the Valley’s Fourth of July events are scheduled. The weather could cancel or delay events around the metro area.
“With the moisture we have available, we have a pretty good chance of having a round of storms,” said Austin Jamison with the NWS. “I would expect to see also more of western Arizona getting into the act as well.”
Jamison said there is a 30 percent chance for storms Friday.
Should an event near you be canceled, check our Fourth of July Fireworks Map to find another show nearby.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick