PHOENIX — Beer and brats are as America as apple pie, but an Arizona winery owner has some alternatives to the tradition.
Sam Pillsbury, owner of Pillsbury Wine Company in Wilcox, Ariz. said while party goers are heating up the barbeque, they might want to bring out a bottle of wine to try with their meal.
There are many different varieties of meats that can be thrown on the barbeque so Pillsbury said it’s important to experiment to find optimal pairings.
For lighter and more complex sausages, such as Aidells Chicken and Sausage, Pillsbury recommends his Symphony wine, which compares closely with lighter white wines such as Chardonnay.
“That’s what I would call quite a good balance,” he said. “They’re sort of equal in intensity to each other.”
Pillsbury said the heavier meats such as Polish Kielbasas should be paired with heavier red wines, such as his Diva wine, that can handle the high fat content.
“For Kielbasas, you could go for a Cab or Merlot to balance out with that fat and pork and that little more smoky (flavor),” he said.
And if the barbeque is serving up traditional beef franks, Pillsbury said light to medium reds, such as his Wild Child, make a good duo.
“It’s not really smoky and really fatty and I think you could go with a lighter red like a Pinot Noir or Beaujolais,” he said.
As for condiments, Pillsbury said adding a little bit of ketchup and mustard doesn’t seem to ruin the flavor, but putting on too much could overpower the flavor of the sausage or wine.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck