PHOENIX — Beer and brats are as America as apple pie, but an Arizona winery owner has some alternatives to the tradition.
Sam Pillsbury, owner of Pillsbury Wine Company in Wilcox, Ariz. said while party goers are heating up the barbeque, they might want to bring out a bottle of wine to try with their meal.
There are many different varieties of meats that can be thrown on the barbeque so Pillsbury said it’s important to experiment to find optimal pairings.
For lighter and more complex sausages, such as Aidells Chicken and Sausage, Pillsbury recommends his Symphony wine, which compares closely with lighter white wines such as Chardonnay.
“That’s what I would call quite a good balance,” he said. “They’re sort of equal in intensity to each other.”
Pillsbury said the heavier meats such as Polish Kielbasas should be paired with heavier red wines, such as his Diva wine, that can handle the high fat content.
“For Kielbasas, you could go for a Cab or Merlot to balance out with that fat and pork and that little more smoky (flavor),” he said.
And if the barbeque is serving up traditional beef franks, Pillsbury said light to medium reds, such as his Wild Child, make a good duo.
“It’s not really smoky and really fatty and I think you could go with a lighter red like a Pinot Noir or Beaujolais,” he said.
As for condiments, Pillsbury said adding a little bit of ketchup and mustard doesn’t seem to ruin the flavor, but putting on too much could overpower the flavor of the sausage or wine.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments