PHOENIX — Emergency room doctors throughout the Valley are prepared for a busy Fourth of July weekend.
Fireworks should be the only things blowing up this weekend but oftentimes doctors deal with gruesome burn injuries from fireworks that can lead to patients losing limbs.
Kevin Haselhorst, emergency medicine physician with Abrazo Health’s Arrowhead and West Valley hospitals, said Independence Day is a fun and important holiday but it is hard to be independent when you’re missing a limb.
“Primarily I see the hand injuries, burn injuries, and some facial injuries,” he said. “Eye injuries in particular with firecracker burns.”
Haselhorst said firework injuries are very frequent around the Fourth of July.
“A lot of times people get into the moment and they don’t anticipate that it is going to result in an accident,” he said.
There are, however, a few things Haselhorst suggests Valley residents do during the holiday weekend to keep themselves out of the emergency room.
“Flammable materials can cause accidents but that’s not to say you couldn’t plan ahead for the accident to happen and to have a designated [emergency] plan,” he said.
Haselhorst said that plan should include keeping a bucket of ice water ready in case of a burn injury and designating a driver in case a trip to the emergency room is needed.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night