PHOENIX — Plenty of friends and families around the Valley will be coming together for barbeques and pool parties during the Fourth of July and the Phoenix Fire Department wants residents to adopt a zero-tolerance policy toward drowning.
Thus far in 2014, Maricopa County has totaled 14 drownings, already same amount as all of last year, prompting Phoenix Fire to consider the county in a state of crisis.
“Drownings are silent,” said Kelly Liebermann with the Phoenix Fire Department.
High numbers of drowning incidents has Phoenix Fire wanting to remind people of the keys to water safety, especially considering an average of four drowning per Fourth of July weekend each year in Maricopa County alone.
Capt. Mark Vanacore said there is no substitute for constantly watching kids around water.
“Fourth of July weekend is a big swim day,” he said. “Once again, another reminder — be aware and watch your kids.”
Vanacore said he has seen numerous drowning incidents while working at the Phoenix Fire Department and said this year it’s taken a personal turn. In May, family friends of Vanacore lost their 3-year-old son to drowning.
“As firefighters, we experience these drownings on a professional level all too often and they’re always traumatic,” he said. “But on a personal level, to have to have experienced the funeral, being a support system for the family…our children played together…it has just been really personally tough.”
Beside constant adult supervision, Phoenix Fire said it’s important to have proper barriers and learn CPR.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns