PHOENIX — Plenty of friends and families around the Valley will be coming together for barbeques and pool parties during the Fourth of July and the Phoenix Fire Department wants residents to adopt a zero-tolerance policy toward drowning.
Thus far in 2014, Maricopa County has totaled 14 drownings, already same amount as all of last year, prompting Phoenix Fire to consider the county in a state of crisis.
“Drownings are silent,” said Kelly Liebermann with the Phoenix Fire Department.
High numbers of drowning incidents has Phoenix Fire wanting to remind people of the keys to water safety, especially considering an average of four drowning per Fourth of July weekend each year in Maricopa County alone.
Capt. Mark Vanacore said there is no substitute for constantly watching kids around water.
“Fourth of July weekend is a big swim day,” he said. “Once again, another reminder — be aware and watch your kids.”
Vanacore said he has seen numerous drowning incidents while working at the Phoenix Fire Department and said this year it’s taken a personal turn. In May, family friends of Vanacore lost their 3-year-old son to drowning.
“As firefighters, we experience these drownings on a professional level all too often and they’re always traumatic,” he said. “But on a personal level, to have to have experienced the funeral, being a support system for the family…our children played together…it has just been really personally tough.”
Beside constant adult supervision, Phoenix Fire said it’s important to have proper barriers and learn CPR.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food