PHOENIX — Fireworks are scheduled to fly high over Phoenix this weekend but drivers should not pull to the side of freeways to watch, the Arizona Department of Public Safety said.
“People risk injury and death by stopping just to look at fireworks,” said DPS Officer Carrick Cook.
It is illegal to stop or block traffic on the state’s highways.
“Even if you pull off on the side of the freeway on the emergency shoulder, you are violating the law unless it’s an emergency,” Cook said. “That’s why it’s called an emergency shoulder.”
Drivers who pull off to the side to watch fireworks can be charged both civilly and criminally.
Cook said DPS will have patrols looking for drivers watching fireworks. Enforcement will be particularly heavy along the Loop 202, near Tempe’s fireworks show.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them