PHOENIX — Fireworks are scheduled to fly high over Phoenix this weekend but drivers should not pull to the side of freeways to watch, the Arizona Department of Public Safety said.
“People risk injury and death by stopping just to look at fireworks,” said DPS Officer Carrick Cook.
It is illegal to stop or block traffic on the state’s highways.
“Even if you pull off on the side of the freeway on the emergency shoulder, you are violating the law unless it’s an emergency,” Cook said. “That’s why it’s called an emergency shoulder.”
Drivers who pull off to the side to watch fireworks can be charged both civilly and criminally.
Cook said DPS will have patrols looking for drivers watching fireworks. Enforcement will be particularly heavy along the Loop 202, near Tempe’s fireworks show.
KTAR’s Martha Maurer contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night