PHOENIX — Firefighters have expressed concerns over Arizona’s dry summer weather and overgrown national forests. Many are worried 2014 will be another deadly wildfire season.
Valley legislation expert Russell Smoldon said trimming trees and treating forests could save Arizona homes and, more importantly, firefighter’s lives at a lower cost than fighting the fires. Smoldon said he thought the federal government would help maintain Arizona’s national forests after the tragedy at Yarnell Hill.
“I had really hoped that Congress would take some positive action,” he said.
Congress, however, has not taken any action since the tragedy, according to Smoldon. He said fighting wildfires in Arizona is getting riskier every day.
“At what cost human life versus property and at what point do we say we either thin it on the front end or we let it burn on the back end,” he said.
Smoldon said it would cost the feds around $135 per acre to treat Arizona’s national forests. He called it a significantly lower price than fighting a wildfire of the same size.
He pointed to the fire in the White Mountains as an example.
“The San Juan fire has cost $4 million to fight but not even a fraction of that to put people out there and get them to thin the forest,” he said.
Forest thinning and maintenance is the only solution to avoiding another tragedy like Yarnell, according to Smoldon. He said he hopes the government starts treating Arizona’s national forests soon.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier