PHOENIX — Firefighters have expressed concerns over Arizona’s dry summer weather and overgrown national forests. Many are worried 2014 will be another deadly wildfire season.
Valley legislation expert Russell Smoldon said trimming trees and treating forests could save Arizona homes and, more importantly, firefighter’s lives at a lower cost than fighting the fires. Smoldon said he thought the federal government would help maintain Arizona’s national forests after the tragedy at Yarnell Hill.
“I had really hoped that Congress would take some positive action,” he said.
Congress, however, has not taken any action since the tragedy, according to Smoldon. He said fighting wildfires in Arizona is getting riskier every day.
“At what cost human life versus property and at what point do we say we either thin it on the front end or we let it burn on the back end,” he said.
Smoldon said it would cost the feds around $135 per acre to treat Arizona’s national forests. He called it a significantly lower price than fighting a wildfire of the same size.
He pointed to the fire in the White Mountains as an example.
“The San Juan fire has cost $4 million to fight but not even a fraction of that to put people out there and get them to thin the forest,” he said.
Forest thinning and maintenance is the only solution to avoiding another tragedy like Yarnell, according to Smoldon. He said he hopes the government starts treating Arizona’s national forests soon.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food