PHOENIX — The leaders of a small church in Gilbert will make their case to the Supreme Court.
Town leaders have banned Good News Presbyterian Church from posting religious roadside signs the day before they host worship services.
The church is being represented by Alliance Defending Freedom, a nonprofit legal ministry. Matt Sharp, legal counsel for Alliance Defending Freedom, said town leaders are violating the free speech of the Good News Presbyterian congregation and leaders.
“You can’t subject religious speech to more restrictions than are imposed upon other types of speech,” Sharp said.
Town code prevents non-commercial event signs from being posted for more than 12 hours before an event, while political signs can be posted for 60 days before an election.
Sharp said the church’s signs fall under the non-commercial event category. He thinks the town’s government is overstepping its bounds and playing favorites.
“You can pick and choose what types of signs and speech that you prefer and then give those ones favorable treatment,” he said.
The Supreme Court is expected to hear the case by the end of 2014.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon