PHOENIX — The leaders of a small church in Gilbert will make their case to the Supreme Court.
Town leaders have banned Good News Presbyterian Church from posting religious roadside signs the day before they host worship services.
The church is being represented by Alliance Defending Freedom, a nonprofit legal ministry. Matt Sharp, legal counsel for Alliance Defending Freedom, said town leaders are violating the free speech of the Good News Presbyterian congregation and leaders.
“You can’t subject religious speech to more restrictions than are imposed upon other types of speech,” Sharp said.
Town code prevents non-commercial event signs from being posted for more than 12 hours before an event, while political signs can be posted for 60 days before an election.
Sharp said the church’s signs fall under the non-commercial event category. He thinks the town’s government is overstepping its bounds and playing favorites.
“You can pick and choose what types of signs and speech that you prefer and then give those ones favorable treatment,” he said.
The Supreme Court is expected to hear the case by the end of 2014.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night