PHOENIX — The leaders of a small church in Gilbert will make their case to the Supreme Court.
Town leaders have banned Good News Presbyterian Church from posting religious roadside signs the day before they host worship services.
The church is being represented by Alliance Defending Freedom, a nonprofit legal ministry. Matt Sharp, legal counsel for Alliance Defending Freedom, said town leaders are violating the free speech of the Good News Presbyterian congregation and leaders.
“You can’t subject religious speech to more restrictions than are imposed upon other types of speech,” Sharp said.
Town code prevents non-commercial event signs from being posted for more than 12 hours before an event, while political signs can be posted for 60 days before an election.
Sharp said the church’s signs fall under the non-commercial event category. He thinks the town’s government is overstepping its bounds and playing favorites.
“You can pick and choose what types of signs and speech that you prefer and then give those ones favorable treatment,” he said.
The Supreme Court is expected to hear the case by the end of 2014.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier