PHOENIX — A new survey by Forbes magazine said the Phoenix area leads the list of cities that are taking financial jobs away from Wall Street.
The number of financial jobs in Phoenix jumped over 7 percent last year and over 12 percent since 2008.
Joel Kotkin conducted the study for Forbes. He said that because of the Internet, companies and financial workers no longer have to remain in New York, Boston, San Francisco or other financial bastions. He said that they can now move to cities with more sun — and lower costs.
Phoenix has the advantage of having both.
“My $150,000-a-year salary in Phoenix buys me an upper-middle class lifestyle,” said Kotkin. “In New York, it basically puts me next to the homeless guy by Grand Central Station.”
Kotkin thinks the trend of more financial workers moving to Phoenix will continue, but that the Valley needs to attract more high-end jobs.
“You don’t want to just be customer service,” Kotkin said. “That’s great to have those jobs, but can you do more sophisticated functions?”
According to Forbes, San Antonio, Tex., Austin, Tex. and Nashville, Tenn., are other cities that are luring financial jobs away from New York.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever