PHOENIX — Arizona’s high school sports governing body has unveiled a
series of new fees to reduce a $519,000 budget shortfall from the last fiscal
The Arizona Republic reported that the fees have
caught many schools administrators off guard and they now must find a means to
pay for them.
The Arizona Interscholastic Association (AIA), the governing body for high school sports in the state, announced the charges for the
coming school year in a memo sent to its 272 member schools June 11.
However, Chuck Schmidt, associate executive director of the AIA, said the announcement has actually been a longtime coming.
“This has been a discussion since about 2008,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Wednesday. “We have escalating costs in regards to insurance…and in addition to that, our legal costs, venue costs; it’s just getting more expensive.”
He added that the cost of general liability insurance for the next fiscal year alone could triple.
While “revenue sports” cost more to cover and host, Schmidt said the AIA is doing all it can to keep every sport alive in Arizona.
“I think the significant issue is you have revenue sports — and that’s primarily basketball and football in Arizona,” he explained. “Our goal is that opportunities continue in the non-revenue sports, like cross-country, track and field (and) badminton.”
The new structure took effect Tuesday and is the AIA executive board’s response
to rapidly rising costs, particularly those associated with maintaining its
stable of game officials and running annual state-championship tournaments.
Fees will range from $50 to $350 for qualifying teams wishing to enter
sectional or state tournaments.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas