PHOENIX — Just days after the first anniversary marking the deaths of 19 Prescott firefighters, the benefits awarded to one of the widows will be appealed.
The Prescott City Council voted, 4-2, on Tuesday night to appeal the decision that gave survivor benefits to Juliann Ashcraft, whose husband, Andrew, died June 30, 2013 in the Yarnell Hill Fire.
“The facts will speak for themselves,” Juliann Ashcraft said. “We’ll do what we have to
do. It will just take a little longer than we hoped.”
Last month, the Prescott Public Safety Retirement Board granted benefits to the Ashcraft family, after an independent board ruled in the family’s favor.
The city council has maintained that Andrew Ashcraft, a Granite Mountain Hotshot, was a seasonal employee, not full time, making him ineligible for full benefits. Eleven other Hotshots were also considered part-time employees.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick