PHOENIX — Just days after the first anniversary marking the deaths of 19 Prescott firefighters, the benefits awarded to one of the widows will be appealed.
The Prescott City Council voted, 4-2, on Tuesday night to appeal the decision that gave survivor benefits to Juliann Ashcraft, whose husband, Andrew, died June 30, 2013 in the Yarnell Hill Fire.
“The facts will speak for themselves,” Juliann Ashcraft said. “We’ll do what we have to
do. It will just take a little longer than we hoped.”
Last month, the Prescott Public Safety Retirement Board granted benefits to the Ashcraft family, after an independent board ruled in the family’s favor.
The city council has maintained that Andrew Ashcraft, a Granite Mountain Hotshot, was a seasonal employee, not full time, making him ineligible for full benefits. Eleven other Hotshots were also considered part-time employees.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life