PHOENIX — Just days after the first anniversary marking the deaths of 19 Prescott firefighters, the benefits awarded to one of the widows will be appealed.
The Prescott City Council voted, 4-2, on Tuesday night to appeal the decision that gave survivor benefits to Juliann Ashcraft, whose husband, Andrew, died June 30, 2013 in the Yarnell Hill Fire.
“The facts will speak for themselves,” Juliann Ashcraft said. “We’ll do what we have to
do. It will just take a little longer than we hoped.”
Last month, the Prescott Public Safety Retirement Board granted benefits to the Ashcraft family, after an independent board ruled in the family’s favor.
The city council has maintained that Andrew Ashcraft, a Granite Mountain Hotshot, was a seasonal employee, not full time, making him ineligible for full benefits. Eleven other Hotshots were also considered part-time employees.
The Associated Press contributed to this article.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night