PHOENIX — The nation’s largest reservoir is approaching an all-time low level mark.
Lake Mead near Las Vegas is expected to hit the mark next week but it would also be seven feet above the level that would trigger a water shortage declaration in Arizona and Nevada.
That could happen in the spring. The Bureau of Reclamation said the lake is down to 1,082 feet — its lowest mark is a foot less; trigger point for the shortage declaration is 1,075 feet.
Bob Barrett, a spokesman for the Central Arizona Project, said if it reaches that point it won’t impact Arizona cities but it could affect some of the state’s farmers.
“The first thing you would do is you would stop agriculture deliveries,” Barrett said. “You can stop growing cotton but you can’t stop growing people. agriculture would have to go back to groundwater.”
Even under the worst conditions at the lake, Barrett said Arizona cities wouldn’t be impacted for 10-15 years.
“We would start extracting the water we’ve been storing underground, put it into the canals and make our deliveries,” he said.
Unlike Las Vegas which is totally reliant on Lake Mead, the Valley also has the SRP system, which includes Roosevelt Lake, to carry it through the dry times.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier