PHOENIX — Families in Maryvale have a new place to go for help.
The ribbon-cutting ceremony was held on Tuesday at the new Maryvale Community Services Center, which is designed to provide several services for families. It’s located in a renovated fitness center near 67th Avenue and Indian School Road.
“We provide basic services such as GED and English as a Second Language Services,” said Edmundo Hidalgo, the president and CEO of Chicanos Por La Causa. “Also, more extensive services that include Behavioral Health Services for Children, family counseling, and parenting skills development.”
His group teamed with Salt River Project to spend over $3 million to buy and renovate the place.
“This is our investment,” said Hidalgo. “This is our little grain that, hopefully, will have a ripple effect in this community.”
HIV and AIDS counseling will also be available at the center.
Hidalgo said the new center will give the people of Phoenix a chance. “We’re about a hand up, not a hand out,” he said. “For those people who are looking to move up economically, improve the quality of their life, we try to bring in the tools and services that hopefully allow them to be self-dependent, so that they themselves are able to prosper.”
Most of the services at the center are available free of charge.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food