PHOENIX — Families in Maryvale have a new place to go for help.
The ribbon-cutting ceremony was held on Tuesday at the new Maryvale Community Services Center, which is designed to provide several services for families. It’s located in a renovated fitness center near 67th Avenue and Indian School Road.
“We provide basic services such as GED and English as a Second Language Services,” said Edmundo Hidalgo, the president and CEO of Chicanos Por La Causa. “Also, more extensive services that include Behavioral Health Services for Children, family counseling, and parenting skills development.”
His group teamed with Salt River Project to spend over $3 million to buy and renovate the place.
“This is our investment,” said Hidalgo. “This is our little grain that, hopefully, will have a ripple effect in this community.”
HIV and AIDS counseling will also be available at the center.
Hidalgo said the new center will give the people of Phoenix a chance. “We’re about a hand up, not a hand out,” he said. “For those people who are looking to move up economically, improve the quality of their life, we try to bring in the tools and services that hopefully allow them to be self-dependent, so that they themselves are able to prosper.”
Most of the services at the center are available free of charge.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier