PHOENIX — Families in Maryvale have a new place to go for help.
The ribbon-cutting ceremony was held on Tuesday at the new Maryvale Community Services Center, which is designed to provide several services for families. It’s located in a renovated fitness center near 67th Avenue and Indian School Road.
“We provide basic services such as GED and English as a Second Language Services,” said Edmundo Hidalgo, the president and CEO of Chicanos Por La Causa. “Also, more extensive services that include Behavioral Health Services for Children, family counseling, and parenting skills development.”
His group teamed with Salt River Project to spend over $3 million to buy and renovate the place.
“This is our investment,” said Hidalgo. “This is our little grain that, hopefully, will have a ripple effect in this community.”
HIV and AIDS counseling will also be available at the center.
Hidalgo said the new center will give the people of Phoenix a chance. “We’re about a hand up, not a hand out,” he said. “For those people who are looking to move up economically, improve the quality of their life, we try to bring in the tools and services that hopefully allow them to be self-dependent, so that they themselves are able to prosper.”
Most of the services at the center are available free of charge.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development