PHOENIX — Summers can be tough in Arizona and businesses see the heat turn up as much as anyone.
The Better Business Bureau said Tuesday they see a spike in complaints against businesses during the summer months in Arizona.
Felicia Thompson, vice president of communication at the Better Business Bureau of central, northern and western Arizona, said in 2013 the BBB saw roughly 4,000 complaints against businesses.
She said the truck rental industry saw some of the highest numbers of complaints last summer.
“We’re finding that something as simple as making sure that the truck is reserved when you actually pull up to the company (is a cause of complaint),” she said. “If you’re moving, it’s hot already in Phoenix if you’re moving in the summertime (and) you’re packing up your stuff, you want to make sure that truck is ready when you want it to be ready.”
Door-to-door magazine sales were also among the highest industries to receive complaints.
“You have someone at your door saying (they’re) raising money for a trip or for a scholarship,” Thompson said. “A lot of times people never see the magazine and or can’t contact the company.”
Also near the top were new and used car sales and airlines.
Thompson said it’s not exactly clear why the BBB receives more complaints during July and August, but speculates it has to do with the heat.
“As an educated guess, it’s hotter and people maybe have a lower tolerance for issues with companies,” she said.
She said the BBB is a free resource for consumers and recommends people visit BBB.org.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier