PHOENIX — Summers can be tough in Arizona and businesses see the heat turn up as much as anyone.
The Better Business Bureau said Tuesday they see a spike in complaints against businesses during the summer months in Arizona.
Felicia Thompson, vice president of communication at the Better Business Bureau of central, northern and western Arizona, said in 2013 the BBB saw roughly 4,000 complaints against businesses.
She said the truck rental industry saw some of the highest numbers of complaints last summer.
“We’re finding that something as simple as making sure that the truck is reserved when you actually pull up to the company (is a cause of complaint),” she said. “If you’re moving, it’s hot already in Phoenix if you’re moving in the summertime (and) you’re packing up your stuff, you want to make sure that truck is ready when you want it to be ready.”
Door-to-door magazine sales were also among the highest industries to receive complaints.
“You have someone at your door saying (they’re) raising money for a trip or for a scholarship,” Thompson said. “A lot of times people never see the magazine and or can’t contact the company.”
Also near the top were new and used car sales and airlines.
Thompson said it’s not exactly clear why the BBB receives more complaints during July and August, but speculates it has to do with the heat.
“As an educated guess, it’s hotter and people maybe have a lower tolerance for issues with companies,” she said.
She said the BBB is a free resource for consumers and recommends people visit BBB.org.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain