PHOENIX — Summers can be tough in Arizona and businesses see the heat turn up as much as anyone.
The Better Business Bureau said Tuesday they see a spike in complaints against businesses during the summer months in Arizona.
Felicia Thompson, vice president of communication at the Better Business Bureau of central, northern and western Arizona, said in 2013 the BBB saw roughly 4,000 complaints against businesses.
She said the truck rental industry saw some of the highest numbers of complaints last summer.
“We’re finding that something as simple as making sure that the truck is reserved when you actually pull up to the company (is a cause of complaint),” she said. “If you’re moving, it’s hot already in Phoenix if you’re moving in the summertime (and) you’re packing up your stuff, you want to make sure that truck is ready when you want it to be ready.”
Door-to-door magazine sales were also among the highest industries to receive complaints.
“You have someone at your door saying (they’re) raising money for a trip or for a scholarship,” Thompson said. “A lot of times people never see the magazine and or can’t contact the company.”
Also near the top were new and used car sales and airlines.
Thompson said it’s not exactly clear why the BBB receives more complaints during July and August, but speculates it has to do with the heat.
“As an educated guess, it’s hotter and people maybe have a lower tolerance for issues with companies,” she said.
She said the BBB is a free resource for consumers and recommends people visit BBB.org.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon