PHOENIX — Arizona cancer patients who take chemotherapy pills will pay less for treatment by 2016.
Gov. Jan Brewer signed HB 2078, the Fair Access to Cancer Treatment Act, into law Tuesday, effectively lowering out-of-pocket costs for patients taking anticancer pills.
The governor said the new law will allow patients to have more treatment options without as much financial stress.
“This bill will allow doctors and patients more professional and personal latitude in deciding what is best for each patient without bankrupting their families,” she explained.
Health insurance companies often charge cancer patients more for taking chemotherapy pills rather than getting IVs and injections, according to Brewer.
She said she hopes the law will help save lives.
“Cancer is a terrible, terrible disease and certainly one that probably everybody has encountered by a family member or friend, so this is making a huge difference,” she said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development