PHOENIX — Arizona cancer patients who take chemotherapy pills will pay less for treatment by 2016.
Gov. Jan Brewer signed HB 2078, the Fair Access to Cancer Treatment Act, into law Tuesday, effectively lowering out-of-pocket costs for patients taking anticancer pills.
The governor said the new law will allow patients to have more treatment options without as much financial stress.
“This bill will allow doctors and patients more professional and personal latitude in deciding what is best for each patient without bankrupting their families,” she explained.
Health insurance companies often charge cancer patients more for taking chemotherapy pills rather than getting IVs and injections, according to Brewer.
She said she hopes the law will help save lives.
“Cancer is a terrible, terrible disease and certainly one that probably everybody has encountered by a family member or friend, so this is making a huge difference,” she said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night