PHOENIX — Arizona cancer patients who take chemotherapy pills will pay less for treatment by 2016.
Gov. Jan Brewer signed HB 2078, the Fair Access to Cancer Treatment Act, into law Tuesday, effectively lowering out-of-pocket costs for patients taking anticancer pills.
The governor said the new law will allow patients to have more treatment options without as much financial stress.
“This bill will allow doctors and patients more professional and personal latitude in deciding what is best for each patient without bankrupting their families,” she explained.
Health insurance companies often charge cancer patients more for taking chemotherapy pills rather than getting IVs and injections, according to Brewer.
She said she hopes the law will help save lives.
“Cancer is a terrible, terrible disease and certainly one that probably everybody has encountered by a family member or friend, so this is making a huge difference,” she said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier