PHOENIX — Today’s college graduates are leaving school with the highest amount of student loan debt in history — and they won’t be getting any breaks on interest.
Financial planner Joe Gleason in Surprise, Ariz., said with the start of the 2015 fiscal year on Tuesday, interest rates for student loans took a jump.
“The move today (Monday) was about a point,” he said. “So, basically, with these interest rates going up, it’s going to increase the amount of payments that people are making to pay them back.”
Rates moved from 3.86 percent in Fiscal Year 2014 up to 4.66 for Fiscal Year 2015.
For Arizona graduates, Gleason said that means the average college graduate will pay roughly $100 more per year.
“A lot of kids have student loan debt. Here in Arizona, it’s about $20,000 per student, on average,” he said. “So if they go to pay that back, it’s just going to increase those payment amounts.”
Gleason recommends new graduates first take an inventory of all their loans.
“Understand your debt (and) that’s not just necessarily student loans,” he said. “That would include credit cards, that would include any car notes, (and) if they have a mortgage.”
He said people should then look to pay down the loan with the highest interest rates.
“If they’ve got credit cards with double-digit interest rates, pay more toward those,” he said. “Maintain the minimum on some of the lower credit cards or the student loans.”
Gleason also recommends staying in touch with lenders, in case students are not working right out of school or need help paying their loan.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas