Arizona’s northeastern-most county was called one of the hardest places to live in the country, according to a recent report by Times Magazine.
Apache County ranked 2,987th out of 3,135 counties across the United States. The study looked at six major data points in its assessment, including education, unemployment rate, obesity, life expectancy, median household income and disability rate. Rankings were assigned to each county before the overall average rank was determined.
The 10 lowest-ranking counties in the U.S. were all scattered across the southeast and Appalachian Mountains, with Kentucky’s Clay County taking the bottom ranking.
On the other end of the spectrum, Los Alamos County in New Mexico was considered the easiest place to live in the country, thanks in part to its housing of the Los Alamos National Laboratory, which does the majority of the science work for the country’s nuclear arsenal. According to the report, the laboratory employs 20 percent of the county’s residents — approximately 3,600 people — and holds a budget of $2.1 billion.
Six of the top 10 counties in ease of life, meanwhile, lie in the suburban neighborhoods of Washington, D.C.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night