Arizona’s northeastern-most county was called one of the hardest places to live in the country, according to a recent report by Times Magazine.
Apache County ranked 2,987th out of 3,135 counties across the United States. The study looked at six major data points in its assessment, including education, unemployment rate, obesity, life expectancy, median household income and disability rate. Rankings were assigned to each county before the overall average rank was determined.
The 10 lowest-ranking counties in the U.S. were all scattered across the southeast and Appalachian Mountains, with Kentucky’s Clay County taking the bottom ranking.
On the other end of the spectrum, Los Alamos County in New Mexico was considered the easiest place to live in the country, thanks in part to its housing of the Los Alamos National Laboratory, which does the majority of the science work for the country’s nuclear arsenal. According to the report, the laboratory employs 20 percent of the county’s residents — approximately 3,600 people — and holds a budget of $2.1 billion.
Six of the top 10 counties in ease of life, meanwhile, lie in the suburban neighborhoods of Washington, D.C.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths