PHOENIX – Some of Maricopa County’s community colleges will soon receive a welcomed boost in funding for science, technology, engineering and mathematics, or STEM programs.
On the heels of Maricopa County passing a $2.2 billion budget, the Maricopa County Community College District has been award an additional $1.4 million for STEM programs.
“This is the first funding we’ve gotten in this line since 2009,” said Dawn Wallace, director of government relations for MCCCD.
The $1.4 million endowment will be broken down into a few areas, with three colleges directly receiving money.
“We’re allocating $400,000 to Chandler-Gilbert (College) for the updating of labs and equipment associated with their aviation and composite manufacturing programs,” Wallace said.
Wallace said $400,000 will also be going to Estrella Mountain College for expansion of the schools energy program, and $400,000 will go to Mesa Community College for 3-D printing and manufacturing programs.
Funding will also be supplied toward recruiting new students into STEM programs, Wallace said.
Continuing to fund STEM education is important, Wallace said, because educating students in these fields is important for the future growth of not just the students, but Arizona.
“It’s critical, it’s absolutely critical,” she said. “Not only are we an academic resource to the state but we’re also part of the economic pipeline.”
The district will receive the money at the start of the 2015 fiscal year, which begins on Tuesday.
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl