PHOENIX – Some of Maricopa County’s community colleges will soon receive a welcomed boost in funding for science, technology, engineering and mathematics, or STEM programs.
On the heels of Maricopa County passing a $2.2 billion budget, the Maricopa County Community College District has been award an additional $1.4 million for STEM programs.
“This is the first funding we’ve gotten in this line since 2009,” said Dawn Wallace, director of government relations for MCCCD.
The $1.4 million endowment will be broken down into a few areas, with three colleges directly receiving money.
“We’re allocating $400,000 to Chandler-Gilbert (College) for the updating of labs and equipment associated with their aviation and composite manufacturing programs,” Wallace said.
Wallace said $400,000 will also be going to Estrella Mountain College for expansion of the schools energy program, and $400,000 will go to Mesa Community College for 3-D printing and manufacturing programs.
Funding will also be supplied toward recruiting new students into STEM programs, Wallace said.
Continuing to fund STEM education is important, Wallace said, because educating students in these fields is important for the future growth of not just the students, but Arizona.
“It’s critical, it’s absolutely critical,” she said. “Not only are we an academic resource to the state but we’re also part of the economic pipeline.”
The district will receive the money at the start of the 2015 fiscal year, which begins on Tuesday.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon