PHOENIX — Valley resident Sandra Catalan has been a part of the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center (SARRC) for the past seven years. She’s volunteered at KTAR’s annual Action for Autism Radiothon and even has a son with autism.
And now she needs your help.
While the cause is currently unknown, a fire flared up in Catalan’s garage last week — and burned the house completely to the ground.
“I don’t have any shoes, I don’t have clothes; everything was gone,” she told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos Tuesday.
Catalan is a single mother of five — ages 7 to 20 — and she and her family are currently staying with her pastors, as she seeks help for the next step in rebuilding. Friends have also donated clothes, money and food.
Her 20-year-old son was responsible for getting the younger children out of the house, but 12-year-old Leo may be suffering the most.
Leo has low-functioning autism, meaning he needs routine and familiar surroundings. He continues to ask Catalan when they can go home and where all of his stuff is.
An account has been set up at Wells Fargo where monetary donations can be made. The account number is 6945058292 under the name Sandra Catalan.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident