PHOENIX — Valley resident Sandra Catalan has been a part of the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center (SARRC) for the past seven years. She’s volunteered at KTAR’s annual Action for Autism Radiothon and even has a son with autism.
And now she needs your help.
While the cause is currently unknown, a fire flared up in Catalan’s garage last week — and burned the house completely to the ground.
“I don’t have any shoes, I don’t have clothes; everything was gone,” she told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos Tuesday.
Catalan is a single mother of five — ages 7 to 20 — and she and her family are currently staying with her pastors, as she seeks help for the next step in rebuilding. Friends have also donated clothes, money and food.
Her 20-year-old son was responsible for getting the younger children out of the house, but 12-year-old Leo may be suffering the most.
Leo has low-functioning autism, meaning he needs routine and familiar surroundings. He continues to ask Catalan when they can go home and where all of his stuff is.
An account has been set up at Wells Fargo where monetary donations can be made. The account number is 6945058292 under the name Sandra Catalan.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident
- Cindy McCain talks Syrians refugees’ plight, trafficking in Arizona