PHOENIX — Valley resident Sandra Catalan has been a part of the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center (SARRC) for the past seven years. She’s volunteered at KTAR’s annual Action for Autism Radiothon and even has a son with autism.
And now she needs your help.
While the cause is currently unknown, a fire flared up in Catalan’s garage last week — and burned the house completely to the ground.
“I don’t have any shoes, I don’t have clothes; everything was gone,” she told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos Tuesday.
Catalan is a single mother of five — ages 7 to 20 — and she and her family are currently staying with her pastors, as she seeks help for the next step in rebuilding. Friends have also donated clothes, money and food.
Her 20-year-old son was responsible for getting the younger children out of the house, but 12-year-old Leo may be suffering the most.
Leo has low-functioning autism, meaning he needs routine and familiar surroundings. He continues to ask Catalan when they can go home and where all of his stuff is.
An account has been set up at Wells Fargo where monetary donations can be made. The account number is 6945058292 under the name Sandra Catalan.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema: ‘It’s my job’ to attend Trump inauguration
- Arizona. Gov. Doug Ducey to push for teacher raises in upcoming months
- Gov. Doug Ducey: I approve of border wall ‘as long as it benefits Arizona’
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio