PRESCOTT, Ariz. — Monday marks the one-year anniversary of the loss of 19 Granite Mountain Hotshot firefighters in the Yarnell Hill Tragedy.
It was the worst loss of firefighters since 9/11.
Prescott Fire Wildland Division Chief Darrell Willis helped found the team. He came to be known as “The Father of the Granite Mountain Hotshots,” a fitting title, given how they truly were like his own sons.
Willis visited the Hotel St. Michael, where an exhibit honoring the fallen firefighters is on display. The exhibit includes a fraction of the thousands of items left outside the team’s base, Fire Station 7, after the Yarnell Hill Fire. Willis was overcome with emotion.
“I was hoping the pain would go away,” he said. “I’ve now come to realize that it’s not going to.”
Willis gave KTAR a rare peek inside Station 7, where a brand new metal sculpture is on the wall, featuring the belt buckles and logos of every hotshot crew in America.
“It’s an unbelievable showing of love, gratitude and care,” said Willis.
Another show of support came from a father and daughter in Flagstaff who spent 100 hours on a handcrafted table, also now at Station 7.
“It was milled out of a big juniper tree and then [they] engraved it with the name of each firefighter we lost,” he explained. “It’s a prized possession that we will take care of forever.”
Bobby Woyjeck’s brother Kevin was one of the Hotshot members who died in the June 2013 fire. He came to Prescott for the anniversary, and a year after the loss, he still struggles.
“It was the worst day of my life; everything is a blur. I had to inform my parents that Kevin had passed away and no child should ever have to do that,” Woyjeck recalled. “I have nothing but praise for Prescott. It’s strange being here, but it’s awesome to be here.”
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development