PRESCOTT, Ariz. — Monday marks the one-year anniversary of the loss of 19 Granite Mountain Hotshot firefighters in the Yarnell Hill Tragedy.
It was the worst loss of firefighters since 9/11.
Prescott Fire Wildland Division Chief Darrell Willis helped found the team. He came to be known as “The Father of the Granite Mountain Hotshots,” a fitting title, given how they truly were like his own sons.
Willis visited the Hotel St. Michael, where an exhibit honoring the fallen firefighters is on display. The exhibit includes a fraction of the thousands of items left outside the team’s base, Fire Station 7, after the Yarnell Hill Fire. Willis was overcome with emotion.
“I was hoping the pain would go away,” he said. “I’ve now come to realize that it’s not going to.”
Willis gave KTAR a rare peek inside Station 7, where a brand new metal sculpture is on the wall, featuring the belt buckles and logos of every hotshot crew in America.
“It’s an unbelievable showing of love, gratitude and care,” said Willis.
Another show of support came from a father and daughter in Flagstaff who spent 100 hours on a handcrafted table, also now at Station 7.
“It was milled out of a big juniper tree and then [they] engraved it with the name of each firefighter we lost,” he explained. “It’s a prized possession that we will take care of forever.”
Bobby Woyjeck’s brother Kevin was one of the Hotshot members who died in the June 2013 fire. He came to Prescott for the anniversary, and a year after the loss, he still struggles.
“It was the worst day of my life; everything is a blur. I had to inform my parents that Kevin had passed away and no child should ever have to do that,” Woyjeck recalled. “I have nothing but praise for Prescott. It’s strange being here, but it’s awesome to be here.”
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier