PRESCOTT, Ariz. — Monday marks the one-year anniversary of the loss of 19 Granite Mountain Hotshot firefighters in the Yarnell Hill Tragedy.
It was the worst loss of firefighters since 9/11.
Prescott Fire Wildland Division Chief Darrell Willis helped found the team. He came to be known as “The Father of the Granite Mountain Hotshots,” a fitting title, given how they truly were like his own sons.
Willis visited the Hotel St. Michael, where an exhibit honoring the fallen firefighters is on display. The exhibit includes a fraction of the thousands of items left outside the team’s base, Fire Station 7, after the Yarnell Hill Fire. Willis was overcome with emotion.
“I was hoping the pain would go away,” he said. “I’ve now come to realize that it’s not going to.”
Willis gave KTAR a rare peek inside Station 7, where a brand new metal sculpture is on the wall, featuring the belt buckles and logos of every hotshot crew in America.
“It’s an unbelievable showing of love, gratitude and care,” said Willis.
Another show of support came from a father and daughter in Flagstaff who spent 100 hours on a handcrafted table, also now at Station 7.
“It was milled out of a big juniper tree and then [they] engraved it with the name of each firefighter we lost,” he explained. “It’s a prized possession that we will take care of forever.”
Bobby Woyjeck’s brother Kevin was one of the Hotshot members who died in the June 2013 fire. He came to Prescott for the anniversary, and a year after the loss, he still struggles.
“It was the worst day of my life; everything is a blur. I had to inform my parents that Kevin had passed away and no child should ever have to do that,” Woyjeck recalled. “I have nothing but praise for Prescott. It’s strange being here, but it’s awesome to be here.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets