PHOENIX — An altercation outside a Phoenix party left one man dead and another behind bars early Sunday morning.
Nineteen-year-old Antonio Torres-Pena and his friend were leaving a party located near 3330 N. 76th Ave. at about 1:30 a.m. when they realized the stopped car in front of them was blocking the street.
After noticing that vehicles were beginning to back up behind him, Torres-Pena honked his horn.
A 24-year-old man, later identified at Luis Gaona, exited the passenger side of the vehicle and made his way toward Torres-Pena.
The two began to fight in the road, and according to Tommy Thompson of the Phoenix Police Department, at some point during the altercation Torres-Pena shot Gaona before fleeing the scene with his friend.
Gaona was transported to a nearby hospital with life-threatening injuries — ones he would later succumb to.
Meanwhile, officers quickly located Torres-Pena after his vehicle broke down near the scene, and he was taken into custody and charged with second-degree murder.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food