PHOENIX — An altercation outside a Phoenix party left one man dead and another behind bars early Sunday morning.
Nineteen-year-old Antonio Torres-Pena and his friend were leaving a party located near 3330 N. 76th Ave. at about 1:30 a.m. when they realized the stopped car in front of them was blocking the street.
After noticing that vehicles were beginning to back up behind him, Torres-Pena honked his horn.
A 24-year-old man, later identified at Luis Gaona, exited the passenger side of the vehicle and made his way toward Torres-Pena.
The two began to fight in the road, and according to Tommy Thompson of the Phoenix Police Department, at some point during the altercation Torres-Pena shot Gaona before fleeing the scene with his friend.
Gaona was transported to a nearby hospital with life-threatening injuries — ones he would later succumb to.
Meanwhile, officers quickly located Torres-Pena after his vehicle broke down near the scene, and he was taken into custody and charged with second-degree murder.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life