PHOENIX — An altercation outside a Phoenix party left one man dead and another behind bars early Sunday morning.
Nineteen-year-old Antonio Torres-Pena and his friend were leaving a party located near 3330 N. 76th Ave. at about 1:30 a.m. when they realized the stopped car in front of them was blocking the street.
After noticing that vehicles were beginning to back up behind him, Torres-Pena honked his horn.
A 24-year-old man, later identified at Luis Gaona, exited the passenger side of the vehicle and made his way toward Torres-Pena.
The two began to fight in the road, and according to Tommy Thompson of the Phoenix Police Department, at some point during the altercation Torres-Pena shot Gaona before fleeing the scene with his friend.
Gaona was transported to a nearby hospital with life-threatening injuries — ones he would later succumb to.
Meanwhile, officers quickly located Torres-Pena after his vehicle broke down near the scene, and he was taken into custody and charged with second-degree murder.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night