PHOENIX — Good news for Valley drivers: Phoenix has seen a drop in the number of car thefts.
Stephanie Dembowski, a spokeswoman for AAA Arizona, said according to recent numbers from the National Insurance Crime Bureau’s annual Hot Spots list, Phoenix fell 13 places in 2013.
“Arizona has plummeted in recent years,” Dembowski said, dropping from No. 70 to No. 83.
Last year’s drop is a continuation of an overall trend for much of the last decade. In 2005, Dembowski said Phoenix was the fourth-worst city for car theft in the nation.
“So in less than 10 years we’ve really dropped our auto thefts, which is great news for drivers,” she said.
Dembowski attributed the decline to awareness and law enforcement’s focus on the issue.
Just because thefts are down though, she said it’s no time to start getting lazy.
“You don’t want to lose your common sense,” Dembowski said. “Never leave your (running) car unattended, keep locking your vehicle at all times, keep all personal and valuable items stowed away, activate your car alarm if you have one.”
Demboski also recommended parking in well-lit, public areas and installing motion-activated flood lights near vehicles not parked in garages.
Tucson also enjoyed a noticeable drop in car thefts, falling from 44th to 68th.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas