PHOENIX — Good news for Valley drivers: Phoenix has seen a drop in the number of car thefts.
Stephanie Dembowski, a spokeswoman for AAA Arizona, said according to recent numbers from the National Insurance Crime Bureau’s annual Hot Spots list, Phoenix fell 13 places in 2013.
“Arizona has plummeted in recent years,” Dembowski said, dropping from No. 70 to No. 83.
Last year’s drop is a continuation of an overall trend for much of the last decade. In 2005, Dembowski said Phoenix was the fourth-worst city for car theft in the nation.
“So in less than 10 years we’ve really dropped our auto thefts, which is great news for drivers,” she said.
Dembowski attributed the decline to awareness and law enforcement’s focus on the issue.
Just because thefts are down though, she said it’s no time to start getting lazy.
“You don’t want to lose your common sense,” Dembowski said. “Never leave your (running) car unattended, keep locking your vehicle at all times, keep all personal and valuable items stowed away, activate your car alarm if you have one.”
Demboski also recommended parking in well-lit, public areas and installing motion-activated flood lights near vehicles not parked in garages.
Tucson also enjoyed a noticeable drop in car thefts, falling from 44th to 68th.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development