PHOENIX — The Phoenix Police Department will undergo an unprecedented overhaul of its record management system.
“Single, largest technology upgrade in the history of the department,” Sgt. Trent Crump said. “It is a project that has upgraded our entire infrastructure, from our servers, to every desktop to laptop in every police car.”
The computer system is reportedly a quarter-century old.
Some police officers aren’t embracing the idea of change that will inevitably come at the end of July. “It’s going to be a huge mess, just wait and see,” said an officer who preferred to remain anonymous.
The concerns are related to the problematic transition the Dallas police department has experienced since going live with a similar records management system, which included serious snafus such as inadvertent release of inmates, crime victims left in limbo, along with hundreds of unprocessed police reports.
Crump said Phoenix can take advantage of the problems
The new system will improve efficiency and do away with archaic methods of policing. “We have detectives hand-carrying reports to the city and county attorney,” Crump said, adding the data-sharing capabilities will double.
Department leaders said there were plans in place to address any major problems that could arise. Every staff member was undergoing training and technical assistance will be available for as long as necessary.
The IT overhaul has been in the works for two years. Cost was estimated at $30 million, paid for by bonds approved by voters in 2006.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America