PHOENIX — The Phoenix Police Department will undergo an unprecedented overhaul of its record management system.
“Single, largest technology upgrade in the history of the department,” Sgt. Trent Crump said. “It is a project that has upgraded our entire infrastructure, from our servers, to every desktop to laptop in every police car.”
The computer system is reportedly a quarter-century old.
Some police officers aren’t embracing the idea of change that will inevitably come at the end of July. “It’s going to be a huge mess, just wait and see,” said an officer who preferred to remain anonymous.
The concerns are related to the problematic transition the Dallas police department has experienced since going live with a similar records management system, which included serious snafus such as inadvertent release of inmates, crime victims left in limbo, along with hundreds of unprocessed police reports.
Crump said Phoenix can take advantage of the problems
The new system will improve efficiency and do away with archaic methods of policing. “We have detectives hand-carrying reports to the city and county attorney,” Crump said, adding the data-sharing capabilities will double.
Department leaders said there were plans in place to address any major problems that could arise. Every staff member was undergoing training and technical assistance will be available for as long as necessary.
The IT overhaul has been in the works for two years. Cost was estimated at $30 million, paid for by bonds approved by voters in 2006.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets