PHOENIX — Paralyzed Olympic gold-medal swimmer Amy Van Dyken-Rouen said in a television interview Friday that she has had some sensation near her waist, which gives her hope that feeling will return to her legs.
Hope and high spirits are the twin engines driving Van Dyken-Rouen. Injured in an all-terrain vehicle accident on June 6 outside Show Low, Ariz., she has posted upbeat, funny tweets since just a couple days after the life-changing crash.
She visited with ‘Today’ show host Matt Lauer in an interview that aired Friday morning.
“This is how it’s been the whole time,” said her husband, former NFL punter Tom Rouen said of his wife’s positive attitude.
“I do all the ‘what ifs’ (about the accident),” Rouen said, “but she doesn’t do that.”
Van Dyken said her goal was to walk out of the rehab facility in August and that he said she has sometimes has sensation around her waist..
Part 2 of the interview:
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development