PHOENIX — Paralyzed Olympic gold-medal swimmer Amy Van Dyken-Rouen said in a television interview Friday that she has had some sensation near her waist, which gives her hope that feeling will return to her legs.
Hope and high spirits are the twin engines driving Van Dyken-Rouen. Injured in an all-terrain vehicle accident on June 6 outside Show Low, Ariz., she has posted upbeat, funny tweets since just a couple days after the life-changing crash.
She visited with ‘Today’ show host Matt Lauer in an interview that aired Friday morning.
“This is how it’s been the whole time,” said her husband, former NFL punter Tom Rouen said of his wife’s positive attitude.
“I do all the ‘what ifs’ (about the accident),” Rouen said, “but she doesn’t do that.”
Van Dyken said her goal was to walk out of the rehab facility in August and that he said she has sometimes has sensation around her waist..
Part 2 of the interview:
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths