The Federal Bureau of Investigation rewarded two good citizens Thursday for their courage, valor and assistance in capturing a fugitive of the law.
“We have to pay attention to get rid of the bad people that are hurting the innocent and police officers,” said Richard Bounds, recipient of a cash reward. “My message to the community is to never be afraid about calling the police, they’re there to help.”
The story began on Dec. 23, 2013, when suspect Mario Garnett started a cross country crime spree. After a failed bank robbery, he allegedly robbed an ATM customer in Atlanta, Ga. Later that day, he allegedly robbed a bank in Tupelo, Miss. and subsequently is accused of shooting two Tupelo police officers during the escape. Officer Gale Stauffer was fatally wounded and Officer Josheph Maher was critically wounded but survived.
A few days later, Garnett allegedly robbed the BBVA Compass Bank on W. Thomas Road and N. 31st Ave. in Phoenix. During the robbery, when Bounds called the police to alert them of the robbery and stayed on the phone until police officers arrived on scene. After a shootout with Phoenix police, the suspect was struck and killed.
Bounds and another witness each received certificates of appreciation and each received a check for $25,000, money which had been offered for information on the case.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments