The Federal Bureau of Investigation rewarded two good citizens Thursday for their courage, valor and assistance in capturing a fugitive of the law.
“We have to pay attention to get rid of the bad people that are hurting the innocent and police officers,” said Richard Bounds, recipient of a cash reward. “My message to the community is to never be afraid about calling the police, they’re there to help.”
The story began on Dec. 23, 2013, when suspect Mario Garnett started a cross country crime spree. After a failed bank robbery, he allegedly robbed an ATM customer in Atlanta, Ga. Later that day, he allegedly robbed a bank in Tupelo, Miss. and subsequently is accused of shooting two Tupelo police officers during the escape. Officer Gale Stauffer was fatally wounded and Officer Josheph Maher was critically wounded but survived.
A few days later, Garnett allegedly robbed the BBVA Compass Bank on W. Thomas Road and N. 31st Ave. in Phoenix. During the robbery, when Bounds called the police to alert them of the robbery and stayed on the phone until police officers arrived on scene. After a shootout with Phoenix police, the suspect was struck and killed.
Bounds and another witness each received certificates of appreciation and each received a check for $25,000, money which had been offered for information on the case.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon