The Federal Bureau of Investigation rewarded two good citizens Thursday for their courage, valor and assistance in capturing a fugitive of the law.
“We have to pay attention to get rid of the bad people that are hurting the innocent and police officers,” said Richard Bounds, recipient of a cash reward. “My message to the community is to never be afraid about calling the police, they’re there to help.”
The story began on Dec. 23, 2013, when suspect Mario Garnett started a cross country crime spree. After a failed bank robbery, he allegedly robbed an ATM customer in Atlanta, Ga. Later that day, he allegedly robbed a bank in Tupelo, Miss. and subsequently is accused of shooting two Tupelo police officers during the escape. Officer Gale Stauffer was fatally wounded and Officer Josheph Maher was critically wounded but survived.
A few days later, Garnett allegedly robbed the BBVA Compass Bank on W. Thomas Road and N. 31st Ave. in Phoenix. During the robbery, when Bounds called the police to alert them of the robbery and stayed on the phone until police officers arrived on scene. After a shootout with Phoenix police, the suspect was struck and killed.
Bounds and another witness each received certificates of appreciation and each received a check for $25,000, money which had been offered for information on the case.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.