PHOENIX — The Federal Aviation Administration is in a public-hearing phase of a new proposal that could have a significant impact on airports around the country, including in metro Phoenix.
Currently, the FAA does not factor engine failure into flight paths for recommendations for nearby structure heights, since such a malfunction is not considered part of normal flight operations. However, the new proposal seeks to account for engine failure, including the compensation a plane would need in order to clear obstacles in case of such an emergency.
That means the FAA could change its regulations on tall buildings near airports, and Deborah Ostreicher with Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport said the proposal could have a noticeable impact locally.
“One of the reasons why we have such opportunity here for business and tourism is because it’s so easy to come and go here, at least it is now,” Ostreicher said. “We don’t want to do anything as a community, the Valley (or) the state to limit that.”
The FAA cannot stop real estate deals and cannot force a building or structure to be changed. However, if it considers a building or structure hazardous in light of the current proposal, the agency could cut back on anything from the amount of flights to what types of planes can fly into and out of an airport.
“If you build the building or build the structure but then people can’t come and go here from around the country and around the world, then that’s going to have a pretty negative economic impact,” Ostreicher said.
She said it’s up to the community to not jeopardize the vitality of airports with future developments, and that working together with the FAA and airport is important.
Ostreicher said Sky Harbor continually monitors new developments and seeks to be involved with anything that could present a hazard to safety or the activity of the airport.
The public-comment period for the proposal has been extended until June 30 and can be viewed here.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them