PHOENIX — As part of National HIV Testing Day on Friday, several pharmacies and clinics are offering free tests to the public.
In 2012, more than 480 people in Arizona discovered they were HIV positive. Kit Kloeckl, executive director of the Aunt Rita Foundation, said getting tested goes a long way in slowing the spread of the disease.
“We know that if we could get every Arizonan tested and every Arizonan that is HIV-positive into care, the chances of those people transmitting the disease onto someone else drop by 96 percent,” said Kloeckl.
Too few people get tested for HIV, according to Kloeckl, who encourages people between the ages of 15 and 65 to get tested at least once in their life. He said those who are sexually active with multiple partners should get tested more often.
“Everyone should get tested,” he said. “We’re estimating here in Arizona that 40 percent of Arizonans have never had an HIV test.”
In an effort to reduce the number of untested people, several local organizations are offering free tests on the national awareness day, such as the Southwest Center for HIV and AIDS (1144 E. McDowell Road, Phoenix) and Prime Medical Clinic (3104 E. Indian School Road, Suite 110, Phoenix).
Four Walgreens pharmacies will also be providing tests on Friday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Below is a list of locations that will provide free tests.
• 3402 N. Central Ave., Phoenix
• 1825 W. Bethany Home Road, Phoenix
• 7606 S. Seventh St., Phoenix
• 25073 W. Southern Ave., Buckeye
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development