PHOENIX — As part of National HIV Testing Day on Friday, several pharmacies and clinics are offering free tests to the public.
In 2012, more than 480 people in Arizona discovered they were HIV positive. Kit Kloeckl, executive director of the Aunt Rita Foundation, said getting tested goes a long way in slowing the spread of the disease.
“We know that if we could get every Arizonan tested and every Arizonan that is HIV-positive into care, the chances of those people transmitting the disease onto someone else drop by 96 percent,” said Kloeckl.
Too few people get tested for HIV, according to Kloeckl, who encourages people between the ages of 15 and 65 to get tested at least once in their life. He said those who are sexually active with multiple partners should get tested more often.
“Everyone should get tested,” he said. “We’re estimating here in Arizona that 40 percent of Arizonans have never had an HIV test.”
In an effort to reduce the number of untested people, several local organizations are offering free tests on the national awareness day, such as the Southwest Center for HIV and AIDS (1144 E. McDowell Road, Phoenix) and Prime Medical Clinic (3104 E. Indian School Road, Suite 110, Phoenix).
Four Walgreens pharmacies will also be providing tests on Friday from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Below is a list of locations that will provide free tests.
• 3402 N. Central Ave., Phoenix
• 1825 W. Bethany Home Road, Phoenix
• 7606 S. Seventh St., Phoenix
• 25073 W. Southern Ave., Buckeye
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier