PHOENIX — Even with gas prices rising, AAA Arizona expects the number of travelers during the Fourth of July holiday to climb as well.
Spokeswoman Michelle Donati said Independence Day travel will be up nearly 2 percent nationally compared to last year, and Arizona is echoing that trend.
“We are expecting to see almost 800,000 Arizonans take to the roads and skies,” she said.
That would be a 0.8 percent increase over last year.
Even with Arizona’s average gas prices up 6 cents to $3.53 a gallon in the first half of June, Donati said it appears the inflation is not enough for people to cancel their holiday plans.
“Gas prices really haven’t changed all that much,” she said. “Even with a slight increase over last year, if a traveler does have to factor gas prices to their budget, they’ll look to save in another area.”
Donati said airline travel is also expected to be up 0.8 percent as nearly 84,000 Arizonans are projected to head to airports this Independence Day.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas