SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — More than 270 homebound senior citizens in Scottsdale, Ariz., are getting care packages filled with gift cards, water and other items, which are provided through the city’s “Beat the Heat” program.
Philomena Martin, 91, and her twin brother, David, live on their own at her condo in Scottsdale. David has Alzheimer’s and spends his days in a care program at a nearby hospital, but comes back home at night. Philomena likes to watch “Jeopardy!” and “Wheel of Fortune” and read.
She said that her secret to a long life is that in she has kept to a specific diet, especially when she was younger.
“I lived on Italian garden food and Grandpa’s homemade Italian wine,” she said.
On Thursday, the city delivered a bag of goodies to her.
“I got shampoo, my favorite toothpaste, a toothbrush and a pad. All things that we can use,” she said.
Scottsdale city social worker Jennifer Murphy said the bags are also filled $35 grocery gift cards, small snack items, personal hygiene items, stamps and nutritional drinks.
“These donations are all put together at the Via Linda Senior Center,” said Murphy. “They put the packages together, and then we deliver them.”
The Granite Reef Senior Center also helps with the project.
Murphy said that the Beat the Heat program is about more than just giving out free stuff to seniors.
“It’s more about the visit than it is about the goodie bag,” she said. “A lot of these folks are homebound. They’re not meeting with a lot of people, so it’s a wonderful opportunity to connect, and to talk and just have a nice visit.”
Scottsdale’s senior centers are looking for more donations as well as volunteers to deliver the care packages and visit with the seniors. You can visit the city’s website to find out more.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets