SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — More than 270 homebound senior citizens in Scottsdale, Ariz., are getting care packages filled with gift cards, water and other items, which are provided through the city’s “Beat the Heat” program.
Philomena Martin, 91, and her twin brother, David, live on their own at her condo in Scottsdale. David has Alzheimer’s and spends his days in a care program at a nearby hospital, but comes back home at night. Philomena likes to watch “Jeopardy!” and “Wheel of Fortune” and read.
She said that her secret to a long life is that in she has kept to a specific diet, especially when she was younger.
“I lived on Italian garden food and Grandpa’s homemade Italian wine,” she said.
On Thursday, the city delivered a bag of goodies to her.
“I got shampoo, my favorite toothpaste, a toothbrush and a pad. All things that we can use,” she said.
Scottsdale city social worker Jennifer Murphy said the bags are also filled $35 grocery gift cards, small snack items, personal hygiene items, stamps and nutritional drinks.
“These donations are all put together at the Via Linda Senior Center,” said Murphy. “They put the packages together, and then we deliver them.”
The Granite Reef Senior Center also helps with the project.
Murphy said that the Beat the Heat program is about more than just giving out free stuff to seniors.
“It’s more about the visit than it is about the goodie bag,” she said. “A lot of these folks are homebound. They’re not meeting with a lot of people, so it’s a wonderful opportunity to connect, and to talk and just have a nice visit.”
Scottsdale’s senior centers are looking for more donations as well as volunteers to deliver the care packages and visit with the seniors. You can visit the city’s website to find out more.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America