PHOENIX — The city of Glendale and the Westgate Entertainment District are hoping private parties and other unofficial events will increase tax revenue leading up to the Super Bowl.
According to the Phoenix Business Journal, these events have the possibility to create more tax revenue and propel businesses, since the National Football League demands host cities to leave off sales taxes on official tickets and events.
Jeff Teetsel, development manager at Westgate, said he will help bars and restaurants at the development get temporary permits to expand their patios and outdoor seating areas. Westgate has about 20 bars, restaurants and eateries. Teetsel said Super Bowl groups also can lease empty space at the Glendale development for other events on game day and the week leading up to the Super Bowl.
Super Bowl XLIX will be held at the University of Phoenix Stadium in early February, but most non-game day events will be located in downtown Phoenix and other Valley locations.
Downtown Phoenix will host Super Bowl Central, featuring fan events and concerts at the Phoenix Convention Center and other venues. Media will also set up shop at the convention center.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night