PHOENIX — Economists said the jobless rate among young adults could cost the U.S. about $20 billion over the next 10 years.
While Hillary Clinton has formed her own posse targeting the problem, Arizona is working on it, too, beginning with Valley mayors’ initiative to improve graduation rates, and job fairs targeting 16- to 24-year-olds.
“We just had one through the City of Scottsdale, a teen-opportunity expo, focusing on companies that are looking to do just that,” said Theresa Maher with Phoenix-based Jobing.com. Many of those companies are still hiring.
Lately, Maher said city parks, hotel and restaurants, as well as retail stores, were posting jobs aimed directly at young adults, many offering management growth programs. She said Jobing.com was hiring, too.
These days, Maher said, more corporations target younger new hires, “because we find candidates of that age don’t really have the bad habits to break and they’re eager to get started in the work force.”
That fresh attitude can help younger candidates not only land a first job, but also keep it and progress into the next generation of managers.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America