PHOENIX — Economists said the jobless rate among young adults could cost the U.S. about $20 billion over the next 10 years.
While Hillary Clinton has formed her own posse targeting the problem, Arizona is working on it, too, beginning with Valley mayors’ initiative to improve graduation rates, and job fairs targeting 16- to 24-year-olds.
“We just had one through the City of Scottsdale, a teen-opportunity expo, focusing on companies that are looking to do just that,” said Theresa Maher with Phoenix-based Jobing.com. Many of those companies are still hiring.
Lately, Maher said city parks, hotel and restaurants, as well as retail stores, were posting jobs aimed directly at young adults, many offering management growth programs. She said Jobing.com was hiring, too.
These days, Maher said, more corporations target younger new hires, “because we find candidates of that age don’t really have the bad habits to break and they’re eager to get started in the work force.”
That fresh attitude can help younger candidates not only land a first job, but also keep it and progress into the next generation of managers.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night