PHOENIX — Economists said the jobless rate among young adults could cost the U.S. about $20 billion over the next 10 years.
While Hillary Clinton has formed her own posse targeting the problem, Arizona is working on it, too, beginning with Valley mayors’ initiative to improve graduation rates, and job fairs targeting 16- to 24-year-olds.
“We just had one through the City of Scottsdale, a teen-opportunity expo, focusing on companies that are looking to do just that,” said Theresa Maher with Phoenix-based Jobing.com. Many of those companies are still hiring.
Lately, Maher said city parks, hotel and restaurants, as well as retail stores, were posting jobs aimed directly at young adults, many offering management growth programs. She said Jobing.com was hiring, too.
These days, Maher said, more corporations target younger new hires, “because we find candidates of that age don’t really have the bad habits to break and they’re eager to get started in the work force.”
That fresh attitude can help younger candidates not only land a first job, but also keep it and progress into the next generation of managers.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development