PHOENIX — There are fewer zombies in the Valley these days but we’re not talking about the kind you see in horror movies.
Zombie foreclosures are properties that have started the foreclosure process but have never been foreclosed, and the owner has already left the property.
“(The Valley) has a pretty big number — 1,068 — but among all metro areas nationwide with a population of 200,000 or more, that’s No. 25 on the list,” said Daren Blomquist, a vice president with Realty Trac, a real estate information company.
But Greater Phoenix has half as many homes in limbo as this time last year, and about 25 percent fewer than in the first quarter of 2014. Blomquist said that’s a sign the housing market is improving.
“The fact that that number is coming down is a positive sign that the market is clearing the inventory of the often called, ‘shadow inventory’ of foreclosures,” he said.
The news isn’t all good, though. Blomquist said Valley cities are still missing out on property tax revenue because the average tax on a property is about $2,200 annually.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food