PHOENIX — Public services provided by Maricopa County will cost taxpayers less in the fiscal year of 2015.
The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors approved a $2.21 billion budget for next year. The board’s chairman, Denny Barney, said that the 2015 budget is down $8.6 million from the 2014 budget.
Barney said the board took a new approach to adopting next year’s budget and they went to the leaders of every department in the county with the idea.
“Let’s start from zero and let’s work from the bottom up to determine what financial resources you need to do your job effectively,” Barney said.
That approach is called a “Zero-base budget” and Barney said it will save Maricopa County taxpayers dollars.
“We don’t have an endless supply of money, this is the taxpayer’s dollars they’ve given them to us to manage and deliver certain services,” he said.
According to Barney, more than 51 percent of next year’s budget is for the county’s criminal justice system and public safety costs.
The new fiscal year begins on July 1.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths