PHOENIX — Public services provided by Maricopa County will cost taxpayers less in the fiscal year of 2015.
The Maricopa County Board of Supervisors approved a $2.21 billion budget for next year. The board’s chairman, Denny Barney, said that the 2015 budget is down $8.6 million from the 2014 budget.
Barney said the board took a new approach to adopting next year’s budget and they went to the leaders of every department in the county with the idea.
“Let’s start from zero and let’s work from the bottom up to determine what financial resources you need to do your job effectively,” Barney said.
That approach is called a “Zero-base budget” and Barney said it will save Maricopa County taxpayers dollars.
“We don’t have an endless supply of money, this is the taxpayer’s dollars they’ve given them to us to manage and deliver certain services,” he said.
According to Barney, more than 51 percent of next year’s budget is for the county’s criminal justice system and public safety costs.
The new fiscal year begins on July 1.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development