PHOENIX — Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer said Wednesday the federal government wasn’t doing its job securing the border, which has led to the influx of migrant children into the state.
Brewer toured the facility in Nogales with Homeland Security Director Jeh Johnson. Hundreds of unaccompanied migrant children have been temporarily housed at the site.
Johnson said that while “this is not an ideal situation … it looks as if they’re being well taken care of.”
Brewer agreed, saying the “Border Patrol is doing a fantastic job to the best of their capabilities to maintain the children that are here. They’re clean, they’re getting fed, they’re getting medical attention.”
The outgoing governor blamed the Obama administration for not sending a strong message “to these countries that our borders are closed. We need a federal government to step up and secure the border. It’s problem that we’ve been facing for years now. …
“I don’t know how America can absorb it all.”
Brewer and Johnson both spoke with some of children.
Johnson said the government was in discussions with several Central American countries and continued to emphasize that there was no free pass for the children arriving.
A facility is being readied in Tucson, Brewer said, that will hold 280 children.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development