PHOENIX — Arizona Superintendent of Public Instruction John Huppenthal
broke down in tears at the end of a press conference where he apologized for
posting anonymous blog comments that denigrated welfare recipients and others
that were seen by some as racist.
Huppenthal apologized Wednesday afternoon for what he called “hurtful”
comments that he said didn’t reflect what he felt in his heart about either
minorities or poor people who receive public assistance.
The Republican had apologized last week for blog posts in which he called welfare
recipients “lazy pigs” and said Planned Parenthood was the cause of abortions
The blogger who helped track down a mystery writer who used the pseudonyms, Falcon9, Socrates and Thucydides used IP addresses to find out the true identity of the writer — Huppenthal — who had piqued his interest by the type of comments left on the Valley-based website BlogForArizona.net.
“There were comments that had a racist edge, there were comments that were bizzare — for example blaming Roosevelt for Hitler’s rise,” blogger Robert Lord said. “If there was someone he didn’t care for, he’d find a way to compare them to Nazis or Hitler himself.”
Some of the comments left on the website included:
• “Obama is rewarding the lazy pigs with food stamps (44 million people), air-conditioning, free health care, flat-screen TV’s (typical of “poor” families).”
• “No Spanish radio stations, no Spanish billboards, no Spanish TV stations, no Spanish newspapers. This is America, speak English.”
• “I don’t mind them selling Mexican food as long as the menus are mostly in English. And, I’m not being humorous or racist.”
According to Lord, Huppenthal appears to only be sorry for the fact that he was caught.
“The comment he made just three weeks ago, he was defiant,” Lord said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them