PHOENIX — The state Department of Transportation is making changes to freeway signage warning drivers of wrong-way entries.
Seven people have died and 11 others hurt in the past six weeks in five crashes on Valley freeways.
ADOT began changing out warning signs Wednesday at six freeway interchanges to larger versions. The new signs were redesigned to hopefully catch the attention of a wrong-way driver before they get on the freeway.
The signs will be set 3 feet off the ground; previously they were up about 7 feet.
There will also be a 20-footlong arrow of red, reflective raised markers at the exit ramps pointing in the correct direction. It won’t be as noticeable to drivers going in the correct direction, but will be drivers going the wrong way, said department spokesman Doug Nintzel.
The locations are Interstate 17 at the Carefree Highway, Peoria Avenue and Thunderbird Road interchanges at Loop 101 and Interstate 10 at the Ray Road, Queen Creek Road and Wild Horse Pass Road interchanges.
ADOT and the Department of Public Safety will be tracking the results for the next several months to determine if more interchanges should receive the new measures.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns