A recent study co-authored by a Valley doctor suggests 3-D mammograms significantly increase the findings of invasive cancer.
“There’s been a lot of bad press that screening is ineffective, shouldn’t do it, too many false positives,” said Dr. Linda Greer of the John C. Lincoln Breast Health and Research Center.
Mammograms of nearly half a million women were studied with impressive results, which gives credence to the efficacy of preventative medicine.
“A 41 percent increase in invasive cancer detected with 3-D mammography, a 15 percent decrease in unnecessary recalls for false alarms, and a 29 percent increase in the detection of all breast cancers,” said Greer. “It’s amazing, we are proud to be part of such an important study.”
The study was led by Dr. Sarah Friedewald at Advocate Lutheran Hospital in Park Ridge, Ill. It focused on the impact of 3-D mammography at a diverse range of sites across the country. The findings were published in The Journal of the American Medical Association.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy