PHOENIX — As President Obama called for expansion of maternity-leave protections in the public and private sectors this week, a report showed Arizona has among the country’s worst protections for new parents.
Arizona was one of 17 states that received a failing grade from the National Partnership for Women and Families, which reviewed each state’s protections for new and expecting parents.
“We looked at three different federal laws then looked at the state laws that expand upon those,” said Vicki Shabo, vice president of the Washington-based nonprofit.
Using federal protections as a benchmark, states were judged by how many additional protections they provided for parents. Shabo said Arizona, which had had among the least additional protections, had actually gotten worse since the last report.
“In (the previous) report, we found Arizona had a regulation that granted 180 days of pregnancy disability leave to state workers,” she said. “In this report, that regulation seems to have been rolled back.”
Shabo gave suggestions on how Arizona could improve its protections.
“Arizona could put protections in place for pregnant women in the work place to make sure they’re getting the same reasonable accommodations as any other worker who has temporary physical limitations,” she said. “Arizona could provide greater protections for nursing mothers in the private sector.”
Most of Arizona’s neighboring states received similar grades, except for California, which actually topped the list with the only “A” grade.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths