PHOENIX — As President Obama called for expansion of maternity-leave protections in the public and private sectors this week, a report showed Arizona has among the country’s worst protections for new parents.
Arizona was one of 17 states that received a failing grade from the National Partnership for Women and Families, which reviewed each state’s protections for new and expecting parents.
“We looked at three different federal laws then looked at the state laws that expand upon those,” said Vicki Shabo, vice president of the Washington-based nonprofit.
Using federal protections as a benchmark, states were judged by how many additional protections they provided for parents. Shabo said Arizona, which had had among the least additional protections, had actually gotten worse since the last report.
“In (the previous) report, we found Arizona had a regulation that granted 180 days of pregnancy disability leave to state workers,” she said. “In this report, that regulation seems to have been rolled back.”
Shabo gave suggestions on how Arizona could improve its protections.
“Arizona could put protections in place for pregnant women in the work place to make sure they’re getting the same reasonable accommodations as any other worker who has temporary physical limitations,” she said. “Arizona could provide greater protections for nursing mothers in the private sector.”
Most of Arizona’s neighboring states received similar grades, except for California, which actually topped the list with the only “A” grade.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon