PHOENIX — Metrocenter Mall has dealt with its fair share of challenges in the past few years but received a shot in the arm Tuesday.
Walmart announced it will break ground next year on what is being called a linchpin in revitalizing the west Phoenix shopping center.
“This center needs a good energy kick and we believe Walmart is the type of retailer to do that,” said Warren Fink, CEO with Carlyle Development Group, which owns the mall.
The former Broadway building, which has been vacant since 2006, will be demolished and replaced by the 148,000-square-foot Supercenter.
The retail giant said the store will bring 250 full and part time jobs.
Fink said plans called for working with the city on rezoning that will allow for multifamily and seniors housing, corporate offices and health care facilities and medical offices.
“We’re talking with a small college and a charter school about coming to Metrocenter,” Fink said.
Marcia Veidmark, chairwoman of the North Mountain Business Alliance, said the store should attract more customers and capital investment to the area.
“Walmart’s investmement should be a catalyst for economic growth and job creation,” she said.
Metrocenter Mall opened in 1973 as the biggest shopping center in Arizona and one of the largest in the nation.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food