PHOENIX — Changes in Arizona’s fireworks laws will go into effect Tuesday, making the regulations more uniform and less confusing.
The state law over the past few years was daunting — some cities allowed fireworks, others did not. The same went for the sales and purchase of fireworks.
Under the new law, signed by Gov. Jan Brewer, private citizens are allowed to buy and use certain types of fireworks through July 6.
“Items that don’t go into the air and don’t explode, like ground spinners and fountains, are permissible,” said
Brian Scholl, an inspector for the Phoenix Fire Department.
Scholl said even though fireworks are legal, fire officials would prefer if people didn’t buy them.
“Our conditions are so dry, don’t use them. Go to the fireworks show and let the pros handle it,” he said.
Certain types of fireworks are still banned year-round under the new law: firecrackers, bottle rockets and roman candles.
Firefighters are anxious about the upcoming Fourth of July, which sends them to more fires than any other day.
The Valley has only received about an inch of rain since mid-December. In March a 12-year-old playing with a ground-based firework caused $400,000 worth of damage to a north Phoenix home.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier