PHOENIX — Changes in Arizona’s fireworks laws will go into effect Tuesday, making the regulations more uniform and less confusing.
The state law over the past few years was daunting — some cities allowed fireworks, others did not. The same went for the sales and purchase of fireworks.
Under the new law, signed by Gov. Jan Brewer, private citizens are allowed to buy and use certain types of fireworks through July 6.
“Items that don’t go into the air and don’t explode, like ground spinners and fountains, are permissible,” said
Brian Scholl, an inspector for the Phoenix Fire Department.
Scholl said even though fireworks are legal, fire officials would prefer if people didn’t buy them.
“Our conditions are so dry, don’t use them. Go to the fireworks show and let the pros handle it,” he said.
Certain types of fireworks are still banned year-round under the new law: firecrackers, bottle rockets and roman candles.
Firefighters are anxious about the upcoming Fourth of July, which sends them to more fires than any other day.
The Valley has only received about an inch of rain since mid-December. In March a 12-year-old playing with a ground-based firework caused $400,000 worth of damage to a north Phoenix home.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them