PHOENIX — Newly named Mesa Mayor Alex Finter attended his first U.S. Conference of Mayors over the weekend in Dallas and already came home with some hardware.
Finter accepted Mesa’s second Outstanding Achievement City Livability Award thanks to the city’s iMesa program.
Cathy MacDonald, Mesa’s Chief of Staff, said the program was launched in 2011 as a way for people to get engaged in their community by submitting and voting on projects and ideas they’d like to see happen in the city.
“iMesa uses crowd sourcing technology to gather ideas from residents and then we see how we can help make those ideas happen,” she said.
MacDonald said Mesa won the same award last year, also thanks to iMesa, but this year the city was awarded because of the growth and adaptation of the program.
“The program has progressed and matured and we actually had quite a number of outcomes this year that we were able to say, we have this project or that project come to fruition through the iMesa program,” MacDonald said.
One of those initiatives included at $70 million bond package for new and renovated recreational facilities such as playgrounds, sports fields and aquatics facilities, MacDonald said.
One purpose of the U.S. Conference of Mayors is to allow mayors from around the country to come together and share ideas, and MacDonald said the iMesa program has garnered a lot of interest from other mayors looking to possibly introduce similar programs in their cities.
iMesa is available on the web at http://imesa.mesaaz.gov/, as well as on mobile platforms.
“Getting this honor for the second year in a row is sending a message that we’re doing something right,” MacDonald said.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths