PHOENIX — Newly named Mesa Mayor Alex Finter attended his first U.S. Conference of Mayors over the weekend in Dallas and already came home with some hardware.
Finter accepted Mesa’s second Outstanding Achievement City Livability Award thanks to the city’s iMesa program.
Cathy MacDonald, Mesa’s Chief of Staff, said the program was launched in 2011 as a way for people to get engaged in their community by submitting and voting on projects and ideas they’d like to see happen in the city.
“iMesa uses crowd sourcing technology to gather ideas from residents and then we see how we can help make those ideas happen,” she said.
MacDonald said Mesa won the same award last year, also thanks to iMesa, but this year the city was awarded because of the growth and adaptation of the program.
“The program has progressed and matured and we actually had quite a number of outcomes this year that we were able to say, we have this project or that project come to fruition through the iMesa program,” MacDonald said.
One of those initiatives included at $70 million bond package for new and renovated recreational facilities such as playgrounds, sports fields and aquatics facilities, MacDonald said.
One purpose of the U.S. Conference of Mayors is to allow mayors from around the country to come together and share ideas, and MacDonald said the iMesa program has garnered a lot of interest from other mayors looking to possibly introduce similar programs in their cities.
iMesa is available on the web at http://imesa.mesaaz.gov/, as well as on mobile platforms.
“Getting this honor for the second year in a row is sending a message that we’re doing something right,” MacDonald said.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them