Eleven children have died so far this year in water related deaths — already more than last year.
“None of these parents think that this is going to happen to them,” said Ed Swift, founder of Children’s Safety Zone — a site that’s been tracking water related incidents and deaths in Maricopa and Pinal counties for around 15 years.
The Children Safety Zone now gets almost every city in Maricopa and Pinal Counties that report the data in to the site.
“The vast majority of them are great parents,” said Swift, who is also on the board of the Drowning Prevention Coalition.
“They’re attentive, they’re doing everything that they can, to watch their kids around water … there’s just a momentary lapse where tragedy occurs.”
Swift said that a huge percentage of the incidents and fatalities happen at pool parties.
“For a long time we’ve been preaching ‘have a designated water watcher,'” Swift said. “Have a person that wears a baseball cap or something on their wrist that designates you as a water watcher. And then every 15 or 20 minutes, you hand it off to another person.”
Swift said that during a water watcher’s shift, they should never take their eyes off the water.
In addition to pool parties, Swift said it is important to put gates around pools, adding that parents need to learn CPR and children always need to be watched around water.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier