Eleven children have died so far this year in water related deaths — already more than last year.
“None of these parents think that this is going to happen to them,” said Ed Swift, founder of Children’s Safety Zone — a site that’s been tracking water related incidents and deaths in Maricopa and Pinal counties for around 15 years.
The Children Safety Zone now gets almost every city in Maricopa and Pinal Counties that report the data in to the site.
“The vast majority of them are great parents,” said Swift, who is also on the board of the Drowning Prevention Coalition.
“They’re attentive, they’re doing everything that they can, to watch their kids around water … there’s just a momentary lapse where tragedy occurs.”
Swift said that a huge percentage of the incidents and fatalities happen at pool parties.
“For a long time we’ve been preaching ‘have a designated water watcher,'” Swift said. “Have a person that wears a baseball cap or something on their wrist that designates you as a water watcher. And then every 15 or 20 minutes, you hand it off to another person.”
Swift said that during a water watcher’s shift, they should never take their eyes off the water.
In addition to pool parties, Swift said it is important to put gates around pools, adding that parents need to learn CPR and children always need to be watched around water.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon